Wednesday, May 3, 2017

My Journey

Well here I sit, wondering where to start. I put this on the back burner way to long. Now I'm not only a wife but a mother of 3, and grandmother of 3. Well technically I have 7 kids if you are including my pet chihuahuas who are of course, my kids.

Where did all the years go? I started off good showing my artwork off at the tender young age of 4. Maybe even sooner, I just find it hard to remember that far back.

This grew to drawing pictures for my grade school friends, to painting murals on high school walls (this was also cool as I got out of a lot of class time).

In my early twenties I was doing commission work, making gifts of art for the holidays, to sign painting for baseball fields.

Years later I did some custom tattoo work and became a published illustrator, and it felt great to still keep up with the art.

But then, hey life happens. You work hard at growing up, getting married and starting a family, well not actually in that order, but you get the drift. Then you find you need to pay for all that life has to offer, your house, kids, clothing, food, bills, so working got in the way of what I wanted to pursue.

Now at the tender age of 50-something I find that deep inner drive that started so long ago, the drive to do art.

Getting back into this was a challenge yet it felt good doing something I know I need to do. What started off as one style has turned into so much more. I have tried many mediums in the past few years but I can tell where my favorites are. I am still taking the time to develop my own style and I realize this will not come very quickly. Doing art is fun, doing great art is not easy, especially when you are still not sure where you are going with it. But day by day, I plug away and continue, as I know this is what I need to do to grow.

My regret, wishing I would have started back sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment