Monday, May 22, 2017

All Things Rusty and Weathered

There is something about the color combination of teal and rust or copper that draws me closer every time I see it. Old weathered buildings, rusted metal, decaying walls, and patina. It just makes me stop dead in my tracks and I have to get a closer look.

Why do certain things attract someone where there are no concrete answers as to why? Maybe it was my upbringing living close to the cities in California. Or maybe now living in Minnesota and seeing all the rusted tractors and farm equipment on my way to work? Or could it be something deep inside that is begging to get out?  I do know one thing, I tend to pick up these colors a lot when I paint.

I took this photo of a copper flower with gears in the middle at an arboretum not far from my home. I like the "steampunk" feel to it. Again, I am drawn to objects like this and these colors.



This particular painting came to me one evening as I was settling down from my busy day. I don't particularly remember what I was thinking of at the time, or even what music I was listening to, but that evening I felt I needed to paint with abandon, to let go, and not think about the outcome.

Sometimes I feel my best work comes when I do not give it much thought, I just do it.

Loose flowing brush strokes were the key to this painting, while adding and subtracting paint was the start of this piece. Warming up with bigger deliberate moves with my arm helped to get the feel of this type of painting. Drips gave a "grungy" feel to the painting. I added the rust tones to give it a nice warmth to the cool tones in the painting. The circle to the left gives a nice balance and dramatic effect of warm color.

                                                          Acrylic on Canvas 18 x 18

Although my art is always evolving, (what artist is not?) I feel I am being drawn into a direction that actually makes sense to me. Only time will tell where I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment