Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Am I a Dark Artist?

Today as I look at what I have learned these past few years on my journey of art is that I am still discovering something new each and every day. When I see something that inspires me, a building, trees, peeling paint, found objects on the ground when I take my walks, it stirs something inside of me that I cannot explain. Color, texture and mood comes to mind. Yet when I create what inspires me, my own emotions take over, and my anticipated work is usually different than what I expected.


In the past I have produced darker paintings, that depict a darker side of the human connection to life. I have even been dubbed a "dark artist" by some, but I don't really think of myself as "dark".

In fact, I feel the opposite. But maybe, just maybe there is some dark to me that I did not realize. I struggle day by day to find time to do my art with lifes' obstacles getting in the way, and maybe I am just frustrated deep down inside.

Or maybe I am still searching for that inner voice that keeps telling me there is more I need to do, and I am just not there yet. Yes, frustrating.

I will say I like things that are worn, disheveled, rusty and old. Maybe that is why I tend to paint in deeper darker tones. Yes, maybe that is it.

I keep on discovering and I do see some changes in my emotional response to my art, I am just not sure where it is going as of yet. I will say that in the near future here I may have a few surprises that may surprise myself!


No comments:

Post a Comment